Home State Court Takes Cognisance Of CBI Charge Sheet In Tamil Nadu Custodial Deaths

Court Takes Cognisance Of CBI Charge Sheet In Tamil Nadu Custodial Deaths


New Delhi:

A Madurai courtroom has taken cognisance of a CBI cost sheet towards 9 Tamil Nadu police personnel within the custodial dying case of a father-son duo in Thoothukudi district and directed that the accused be produced earlier than it on November 11, officers mentioned on Tuesday.

The CBI investigation has revealed “brutal torture” of shopkeepers J Benniks and his father RP Jeyaraj by the hands of the police personnel of the Sathankulam police station after an altercation over enforcement of lockdown tips in June, they mentioned.

In its cost sheet filed earlier than the chief judicial Justice of the Peace of Madurai, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has named the then inspector and station home officer S Sridhar, sub inspectors Okay Balakrishnan and P Raghuganesh, head constables S Murugan and A Samadurai, and constables M Muthuraja, S Chelladurai, X Thomas Francis and S Veilumuthu.

The CBI has slapped expenses of homicide and destruction of proof towards the police personnel, the officers mentioned.

In whole, 10 police personnel had been named as accused within the case, however one in every of them died of COVID-19 in the course of the course of the investigation.

The courtroom took “on record” the CBI cost sheet, which was expeditiously filed inside three months after an exhaustive investigation, and directed that every one the 9 accused be current in courtroom on November 11, when the trial proceedings start, the officers mentioned.

They added that in the course of the investigation, six officers of the nine-member CBI group probing the case had contracted COVID-19.

The CBI investigation revealed that the altercation between Jeyaraj, who owned a cellular store, and two police constables, who had been implementing the lockdown, triggered the brutal incident on June 19 night.

It is alleged that Jeyaraj was about to shut his store when the 2 police personnel from the Sathankulam police station had been patrolling the realm, the officers mentioned whereas giving the findings of the CBI investigation.

Seeing his store open, the police personnel requested him to shut it, to which he replied that he was within the means of locking it, they mentioned.

The police personnel later noticed that about 10 to 12 individuals had been standing outdoors Jeyaraj’s store, which they mistook as his prospects, the officers mentioned.

Jeyaraj had mentioned that he had nothing to do with the individuals standing close to his store however the police personnel, who had been allegedly on an “ego trip”, entered into an heated argument with the shopkeeper, they mentioned.

The officers mentioned after returning to the police station, these personnel narrated the incident and went again to the store together with their colleagues.

They picked up Jeyaraj, who was about to go house after locking his store, they mentioned.

On reaching the police station, the accused police personnel mercilessly began beating Jeyaraj, and his son Benniks additionally reached there.

Seeing the situation of his father, he questioned the police personnel, which allegedly infuriated them, the officers mentioned, including that they then shifted their consideration to Benniks.

The torture allegedly continued for over seven hours on the police station with batons getting laced with blood and severe accidents inflicted on Jeyraj and Benniks, they mentioned.

The officers mentioned that after allegedly beating up Jeyaraj and Benniks, the police personnel despatched them to a sub-jail below remand round 2.30 am on June 20. They had been stored as prisoner – quantity 3636 and 3635 respectively – on the jail, they mentioned.

The official mentioned that round 7.45 am, Benniks complained of wheezing and was taken to the Kovilpatti authorities hospital in an autorickshaw.

It was alleged within the FIR that docs declared at 9 am that he couldn’t survive.

Two days later round 10.20 pm on June 22, Jeyaraj complained of fever and was taken to the federal government hospital. Around 5.40 am the subsequent day, docs informed authorities that therapy had failed and Jeyaraj too had died, they mentioned.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV workers and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here